Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update for Men’s Sheds – recommendations for shed precautions and events
As the majority of Men’s Sheds members are in the age group that is most vulnerable to coronavirus (COVID-19), it’s important to take all precautionary measures to minimise the spread of the coronavirus in our community.
We have put together the following recommendations regarding precautions at the shed, as well as advice around any upcoming events and celebrations.
At the Shed
We recommend taking extra precautionary measures at the shed to minimise the spread of the coronavirus. This includes (but not limited to):
- Make it easy for members to practice good health hygiene:
- Ask members to regularly wash their hands. Wash thoroughly with soap and water and use hand sanitiser where appropriate. Wherever possible, ensure soap and/or hand sanitiser is readily available at the shed.
- Remind members to cough or sneeze into their arm or a tissue. Securely bin the tissue and wash hands.
- Ask all shed members feeling unwell or displaying cold/flu-like symptoms to stay home.
- If you, or any members at your shed, are sick – please seek medical advice immediately. This is especially important for members who have underlying health conditions.
You can find more detailed information and resources here.
We know that the shed is an important part of the week for many of your members, but the health and wellbeing of our community is priority. Try to connect with isolated members in other ways – via a phone call, online or drop over any supplies if they may be running short.
Events & Gatherings
Due to the risks associated with coronavirus, AMSA has postponed all events and will not be hosting or attending any regional events or Zone/Cluster meetings until further notice.
Individual Shed Events
We can appreciate that a great deal of time, effort and money has been invested into hosting events but as a vulnerable group, we urge you to consider your health and wellbeing first.
If you proceed with holding an event at your Shed, please ensure you*:
- Remind guests that shed members are of the most vulnerable group when it comes to coronavirus
- Remind guests not to attend if they are feeling unwell
- Remind guests they must not attend if they have travelled overseas in the past 14 days
- Ensure emergency management plans are up to date
- Brief members and guests on good hand hygiene and make it easy for guests to practice. The Department of Health have released posters to assist.
- Have adequate hand washing facilities and hand sanitiser available.
*This information has been sourced from the NSW Department of Health
A national cabinet of Federal and State representatives has been established to manage Australia’s response to this outbreak and support the community. You can stay up to date with the recommendations provided by the Federal Department of Health at www.health.gov.au.
Over the weekend, the Federal Department of Health has launched a national campaign to inform all Australians about the coronavirus (COVID-19) and provide practical ways to help minimise the spread. You can find the campaign resources at www.health.gov.au/news/launch-of-the-coronavirus-covid-19-campaign.
We will provide further information and updates as it becomes available.
Please take care of yourself and your community as best you can.