- Home /
- Men’s Health
The Australian Men’s Shed Association is funded by the Federal Department of Health to provide practical support to Men’s Sheds and deliver a wide range of services. It aims to improve the health and wellbeing of members and reduce the number of men who are at risk from preventable health issues that may emanate from isolation.
Through collaboration and strategic partnerships with national, state, territory and health related community services such as beyondblue, Heart Foundation, Department of Veteran Affairs, Cancer Council, AMSA has developed a range of resources and delivered a variety of national initiatives such as ‘Spanner in the Works?, a men’s health project.
The national ‘Spanner in the Works?’, a Men’s Health screening program has proven very successful in engaging men. This is promoted via the ‘Machine Man’, a visual interpretation of the relationship of Body to Vehicle. Combined with other activities of interest to men and in collaboration with local health services, the program delivers health screening, improves health literacy and distributes health information.
The AMSA website has available a variety of health related resources and links such as:
- National Male Health Policy 2010
- National Men’s Health Strategy 2020
- The Indigenous Men’s Health Manual
- Health Speakers and Info Contact Guide July 2020-Health Speakers & Info Contact Guide – a comprehensive list of health organisation ‘Peak Bodies’ (the experts in their field) who can provide guest speakers for Men’s Sheds.
- Men’s Shed Dementia Manual
- ‘Any Mug’s BBQ Cookbook’
- ‘A Beginner’s Kitchen’ cookbook
- ‘Spanner in the works?’
Men’s Shed Research
If you require further information regarding resources and/or assistance in planning a men’s health initiative such as ‘Spanner in the Works?’ or any other men’s health project, contact AMSA on 1300 550 009 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.