National Men’s Shed Awards
AMSA’s National Men’s Shed Awards give the Men’s Shed community an opportunity to recognise the outstanding work of Men’s Sheds around Australia. Supported by AMSA’s major partner Fair Dinkum Builds, the Awards look for Sheds and efforts of all sizes to celebrate the simple greatness of Men’s Sheds from all over the country.
The Awards fall under six categories:
- Innovation – a unique or unusual approach to a problem or project
- Sustainability – a project or activity that puts the environment at its heart
- Community – adding value to the local community
- Connection – creating and fostering mateship at the Shed
- Men’s health – promoting men’s health and wellbeing
- Shed of the Year – a Shed doing great things, inside and out
Award winners are announced alongside the recipient of the Ted Donnelly Lifetime Contribution Award at the AMSA National Gathering every two years.
Ted Donnelly ‘Outstanding Contribution’ Award
The Ted Donnelly Award recognises an individual’s long term and outstanding contributions to the development of the Shed movement.
- 2022 – Bill Johnstone and Graeme Curnow
- 2019 – Professor John Macdonald
- 2017 – David Helmers
- 2015 – John Evoy (Ireland)
- 2013 – Professor Barry Golding AM
- 2011 – Ted Donnelly (subsequently renamed to the Ted Donnelly Award – for outstanding contribution to the Shed Movement)
AMSA Hall of Fame
In 2013 AMSA formally introduced the ‘Australian Men’s Shed Association Hall of Fame’.
This honour was designed to acknowledge ‘those who have demonstrated a commitment and passion for the men’s shed movement, are strong advocates for the shed movement, may have pioneered initiatives for the benefit of their communities and the greater shed movement, may have assisted other sheds to develop by providing advice and support and perhaps played key roles in the development of the State and National Associations’.
Ted Donnelly Lane Cove Men’s Shed, New South Wales
Professor Barry Golding Victoria
Bill Johnstone Fremantle, Western Australia
Gary Green Orbost Men’s Shed Pioneer, Victoria & Tasmania
Graeme Curnow Shed West Kenmore, Queensland
Ivan Armstrong Uniting Care, New South Wales
John Waters Bridgewater, Tasmania
Lyn Kinder Brimbank, Victoria
Len Wallace Grenfell, New South Wales
Maxine Chaseling Goolwa, South Australia
Ray Cawthorne Grenfell, New South Wales
Roger Greenan Windale Men’s Shed, New South Wales
Ron Mitchell Victoria
Ruth McGowan Tongala, Victoria
Ruth van Herk Lane Cove, New South Wales
Stuart Holmes Nambucca Heads, New South Wales