About our shed
- To support the social interaction of men.
- To share, disseminate and preserve the skills, abilities and interests.
- To facilitate links between men and health-related agencies, family organisations and specialist health professionals within the community.
- To advocate the benefits of partnerships between men’s sheds and the community.
- To develop a Men’s Shed which can operate on a cost-neutral basis, that is, its ongoing costs can be met or exceeded by its revenue.
- To initiate and continue activities of particular relevance to men.
Our activities include gardening, woodworking, metalwork, small appliance repair, computing, fundraising or just chatting.
Find another shed in your area
— "I've found a great group of mates"
Mateship is an important pillar of every Men’s Shed – first and foremost the shed is a place for men to knock about with a group of like-minded mates.
— “I give back to the community”
Men’s Sheds are vital community investments delivering programmes and activities that foster community spirit and contribute to building a more inclusive Australia.
Health & Wellbeing
— “My health and wellbeing is better because I'm a Shedder”
Many shedders experience improved mental health outcomes. Men (and women) involved at their local Shed report increased self-esteem through participation and learning new skills; de-stigmatisation of experiencing mental health and de-stigmatisation of prevalent social issues related to mental health.
The Australian Men’s Shed Association (AMSA) is the national service provider supporting more than 1,200 Men’s, Women’s and Community Sheds and is recognised as one of Australia’s largest male-based community development organisations.
AMSA was established in 2007 by a collection of Australian independent community-based Men’s Sheds to represent, support and promote the Men’s Shed movement. It was founded on the principle of sharing information between sheds and those communities wishing to establish and operate a Men’s Shed. It acts as a central hub for information exchange.
Facts & Figures
Men’s Sheds across Australia (that's more Men's Sheds than Macca's restaurants!)
More than 2,500 Men's Sheds operate in 12 countries
The first Men's Shed was established in 1993 (Goolwa, South Australia)
More than 50,000 Australian men participate in Men's Sheds