- Home /
- National Shed Development Programme (NSDP) Shed Grants /
- NSDP Grant Categories
NSDP Grant Categories
Round 21 will specifically prioritise applications requesting events, Shed improvements and equipment with a strong health, wellbeing or safety emphasis, in acknowledgement of the impact of COVID-19 and the needs of Sheds in the recovery period (and beyond).
Individual Men’s Sheds in Australia can apply for a range of financial support across three funding categories.
- Category 1: Health & Wellbeing Events (Max $8,000)
- Category 2: Shed Improvements (Max $8,000)
- Category 3: Equipment (Max $5,000
Some items/materials may appear to fit within more than one category. If you are unsure, please contact email@example.com for clarification.
CATEGORY ONE: HEALTH AND WELLBEING AND EVENTS UP TO A MAXIMUM OF $8000
In light of COVID-19, computer and IT equipment/ computer and IT training will be prioritised- to support and facilitate shed-based connectivity, address member welfare, online interaction and participation in online events. Applications for associated expenses such as ongoing telephone and Internet costs remain ineligible.
Events- Funding can be requested for an applicant to plan and deliver a Major Regional Event that should have a strong health focus but may also include Shed operational topics. Sheds will need to show how the proposed event can be undertaken appropriately and safely in line with local restrictions and in an environment where COVID-19 considerations remain paramount. The funding will provide assistance with costs associated with an event that requires a Compulsory Element including:
- Reference to the AMSA Events model/template and Manual or similar
- Delivery of a ‘Spanner in the Works?’ men’s health check programme at the event
- A programme of Health related guest speakers, health information sessions/stands, community services participation
Letters of Support for the event from two (2) regional Men’s Sheds confirming their intent to attend must be included with the application
The funding request can also include transport subsidies for members to attend the event, catering and the hire of equipment such as a PA system.
Health & Wellbeing Equipment/training may include:
- First Aid kits, eye wash stations, chemical storage units
- Shed Health & Safety equipment e.g. PPE, safety glasses, goggles, ear muffs, fire extinguishers, Test and Tag equipment
- Safety Signage
- Automated External Defibrillators (where the Shed does not currently have a working defibrillator or where they have a defibrillator that is more than 6 years old
- Health & Wellbeing Training for members such as:
- First Aid including Refresher Courses, CPR
- Mental Health training programmes e.g. Suicide ASIST training
- Disabilities training programmes
- Food Handling and Safety
- Men’s Shed Health & Safety courses such as Handling Chemicals, Test & Tag
- Workshop OHS and machinery safety
Health & Wellbeing Resources such as Books, Handbooks and Manuals, DVD’s
Category Two: Shed Improvements up to a maximum of $8000
Please note: the building of a new shed or premises is not supported under the National Shed Development Programme.
Improvements, modifications or refurbishment of a Men’s Shed facility such as:
- Electrical upgrade or additional lighting and/or power points
- Replace/repair roof, damaged external and internal walls
- Creation of a clean, dust free area
- Repair and/or replace toilet facilities
- Upgrade or replace unhygienic kitchen-cabinets
- Enclose outdoor space for additional work or storage area,
- Container to address storage or lack of work space
- Labour and materials to address health and safety such as concrete/paved access, disabled ramp
Category Three: Equipment up to a maximum of $5000
The priority for funding under Category 3 is providing financial support to new Men’s Sheds (less than 2 years old) and/or those Men’s Sheds that demonstrate a high need.
Tools and equipment are generally aimed at supporting interaction and activities within Sheds.
- Tools for Men’s Shed activities such as wood and metalwork, hobbies, crafts, gardening activities e.g. Air compressor, power tools, raised garden beds, thicknesser, welders, leatherwork tools, wood lathe
- Specific equipment to develop/improve areas within the Men’s Shed such as:
- Kitchen and office e.g. microwave, computer, filing cabinet
- Workshop e.g. dust extraction or air filtration system
Tools and equipment applied for under this category are to be regularly used to support everyday Shed activities and/or Shed fundraising/community support work. Examples- Mowers, whipper snipper, trailers (excluding ongoing costs) – Applications may be submitted for these items but you must be able to substantiate that they are to be used to support regular Shed activities/fundraising/community work
What cannot be funded by the NSDP?
- The building of a new shed/facility is not supported under this Programme
- Funds to support a designated co-ordinator
- Sponsoring bodies requests to reimburse their organisational expenses – the grant funds are for those expenses incurred directly by the Men’s Shed project
- Sponsoring bodies requests to fund their organisational staff expenses
- Individual projects requiring ongoing funding from AMSA. Note: this funding is provided for a specific activity/purpose on a one-off basis
- The purchase of land. In general the land on which the facility development is proposed will be municipal property, Crown reserve, land owned by a public authority or held for public purposes (e.g. trustees)
- Repair of facilities damaged by vandalism, fire or other natural disasters where the act is covered by insurance
- Additional funding for Men’s Shed components that have already received substantial funding from Government.
The Application Process
The NSDP Guidelines Round 21 National Shed Development Programme Oct 2020 provides comprehensive information including:
- Completion and lodgement of the application form
- The Evaluation process
Help and Support
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1300 550 009 if you have enquiries about:
- The NSDP Application process
- Items/services that are eligible for funding
- Unsure of what category is relevant to your requests
- National Shed Development Programme (NSDP) Shed Grants
- NSDP Application Form & Supporting Documents
- NSDP Round Outcomes